The Add / Edit a Customer screen can be divided into three parts. Essential customer information, extra customer information and Customer invoice information.
Essential Customer information
A number of fields are required to be filled in when adding a new customer or editing an existing customer. Furthermore for a number of fields there might be additional requirements.
- Customer Code - The Customer Code must be unique, as it is used as the identifier of the Customer within CloudBilling. It can consist of any combination of numbers, letters or special characters.
- Name - The Customer Name does not have to be unique.
- Cluster - The Cluster field is the Customer Cluster you want to link this specific Customer to. The cluster has to exist in the CloudBilling system.
- Time Zone - The time zone setting is not required. The field will by default use the UTC time zone or the time zone that has been configured in the Global Settings.
Extra Customer information
It is possible to add one or more addresses to a Customer within CloudBilling. The address can then be used as input for a PDF transformation of an invoice. It is also possible to store different types of meta data for a single Customer. We support Numbers, Dates and Strings as metadata. There is currently no limit when storing metadata.
If you make use of the Email Module of CloudBilling you will need to store the email address of your clients. When adding the email address you must specify the following:
- Key - The key is used to identify groups of customers that you want to email.
- Email - Enter a valid email address
- Display Name - The name of the holder of the email address.
Customer Invoicing Settings
Within the customer invoicing settings you can specify a number of date-time related invoice settings.
- Bill From - The Bill From dates allows you to set the date from which the customer should receive its first invoice. This date can be set in the past to retroactively calculate past invoices.
- Invoice Frequency - The invoice frequency allows you to configure the number of invoices this customer will receive per chosen period. By default the frequency will be set to 1 invoice per month.
- Aligned to Period - The aligned to period button allows you to choose whether the invoice period should start at the bill from date or at the beginning of the invoice period.
- Invoiced Separately per period - The invoiced separately per period option deals with recurring purchases. When turned on recurring purchases are invoiced separately per period. If turned off, all recurrences will be invoiced in the first period based on the purchase date.
When you have filled in all the customer specific details press the button at the bottom of the screen.
Note: updating a Customer might affect the calculation of associated current invoices. For this reason, CloudBilling will automatically determine which invoices are potentially affected, and queue them for recalculation.